The Voice Vs. American Idol
With American Idol ratings down 20% since last season, and nearly 40% since 2011 (according to Nielsen Fast National Ratings), Fox’s American Idol is not what it used to be. We think it might have something to do with the judge’s lineup.
Enter the new kid on the block, NBC’s The Voice, which is beating Idol in ratings since both season premieres. Featuring hot talent and fresh programming, The Voice, after four seasons, is now officially rocking Idol in ratings, and ticket sales, when comparing judges on their recent tours.
StubHub took a look at how the judges on each show stack up in concert tour ticket sales, including American Idol’s recently touring Keith Urban and bad-girl Nicki Minaj, and The Voice’s Adam Levine (Maroon 5), Blake Shelton, and Usher. When it comes to the disparity in concert tour ticket sales, you may just pull an Usher “OMG”.
American Idol vs. The Voice Judges on Tour Ticket Sales
- Ladies of Idol clash: Jennifer Lopez (former 2010/11 Idol judge) toured in 2012 with Enrique Iglesias while Nicki headlined her own tour in 2012. Whether Enrique was a deciding factor, J-Lo shocked the controversial Nicki in ticket sales by nearly 2:1.
- Mariah and Shakira: These femme fatales haven’t regularly toured since 2010/11, so ticket sales don’t come into play for this competition’s sake.
- Let’s hear it for the boys of The Voice: Keith Urban, it really Makes Me Wonder if it’s getting Harder to Breathe, as Adam Levine, Blake Shelton and Usher just pummeled your 2011 and 2013 tours’ ticket slues by a combined 6:1.
- American I-dull: Limited chemistry among judges, as recently noted by Idol’s Nigel Lythgoe, has resulted in low TV ratings, and even lower concert tour ticket sales. Adam Levine and Maroon 5 are trumping Idol judges’ combined ticket sales alone nearly 3½ :1.
- Overall, The Voice judges dominate Idols’ by a whopping 4:1 in total ticket sales.
- Advantage: NBC and The Voice.
It even speaks volumes that ex-American Idol, Kelly Clarkson, will be touring with Maroon 5 and Adam Levine, right?